On Saturday, June 1, 2013, UPMC Health Plan & Rainbow Kitchen Community Services will host the 9th annual W.A.R. (Walk And Ride) Against Hunger. The W.A.R. Against Hunger, which is Rainbow Kitchen’s major annual fundraising event, is a walk/bicycle ride along the Great Allegheny Passage Trail in Homestead at the Waterfront . Our goal is to raise money in support of our efforts to eliminate hunger in our community, while also raising participants’ awareness of the benefits of incorporating health and wellness practices into their daily routine. A Health & Wellness Expo held during the event will provide participants with information about healthy lifestyle choices and practices.
In these troubled economic times, Rainbow Kitchen provides a vital safety net for hungry children, struggling families, low-income elderly, ill, homeless and disabled individuals, and growing numbers of people who are unemployed or among the working poor.
Please support Rainbow Kitchen’s efforts to help your neighbors in need … and join us in the W.A.R. Against Hunger!
HOW YOU CAN SUPPORT THE W.A.R. AGAINST HUNGER:
- Register to participate in the event, and collect pledge contributions (see below for registration and pledge contribution information)
- Make a donation or pledge contribution: Click on the Donate button above (please note W.A.R. Against Hunger in the “purpose” field to designate your contribution)
- Purchase an ad or line of greeting in our event program book W.A.R. Against Hunger Event Book Order Form
- Sponsorship opportunities are also available, beginning at $500 for a Mile Marker Sponsorship. Please call Donna Little at 412-464-1892 for information on sponsorship levels and benefits.
An Early-Bird Registration fee of $10 for adults and $5 for youth & students is available through May 17, 2013. After May 17, the registration fee is $15 for adults and $10 for youth (age 18 and under) and students. Please note that children under age 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Online registration W.A.R. Against Hunger Online Registration
- Mail-in registration W.A.R. Against Hunger Registration Form
- You can also register in person on the day of the event
Event will commence in The Pump House parking lot located at the Waterfront in Homestead, and will utilize the Great Allegheny Passage trail. Free parking for all participants will be available. The Great Allegheny Passage trail begins at The Pump House and can be taken to multiple destinations including Duquesne and McKeesport. A rest station with food and refreshments will be available along the trail.
Registration/Health & Wellness Expo Begin 9:00 am
Welcome/Walk And Ride Begins 10:00 am
Prize Drawing 12:30 pm
PLEDGES & PRIZES
Participants are encouraged to raise pledge contributions in support of Rainbow Kitchen’s mission. All pledge contributions collected are due upon registration on the day of the event. All participants will receive a free W.A.R. Against Hunger t-shirt and one ticket for the prize drawing. Additional tickets will be awarded based on the total amount of pledge money turned in at, or in advance of, event registration. (One additional prize drawing ticket for each $25 in pledge contributions received.)
Prizes include hotel getaways, gift baskets, gift certificates for restaurants, goods, and services … and more! You will receive a form for recording your pledge contributions, along with your registration acknowledgment. Or download the W.A.R. Against Hunger Pledge Contribution Form
If you need additional information about the W.A.R. Against Hunger, please call Rainbow Kitchen Community Services at 412-464-1892. We hope to see you on June 1st!